If they consider their students’ diverse backgrounds, instructors are in a key position to aid the Justice Academy scholars through support, sensitivity, and connecting them to resources. The following is a list of ways instructors can respond to the needs of these students:
- Be mindful when assigning group work. Many students have obligations that prevent them from meeting up outside of scheduled class time.
- Ensure there is always a free copy of any required reading material available through the library or posted online.
- Inform students of opportunities for additional funding through scholarships and contests.
- Identify students in need of additional academic or English instruction and inform them of the services available.
- Connect students to real-world opportunities in the field of criminal justice by encouraging internships and directing students to the career center for support in applying for jobs.